Sunday, November 4, 2007

So, does that make me a bad mom?

I never had a mom's group until after my last child was three. I feel I "missed" out on all the things I was supposed to do, I guess. I had my first son when I was 18 years old. Fresh out of high school and ignorant to the ways of a baby. My son did not have a crib, he slept with either me or my 15 year old sister with whom we shared a room with. He didn't have a lot of new fangled baby equipment. Just a car seat and a couple blankets and onesies. He survied to the age of one without us baby proofing the house and feeding him organic baby food. I also never breastfed him and he was not a sickly child. He is a grown 10 year old normal child (for the most part a preteen can be). My second son was born shortly after that. Now we were living in a small 2 bedroom apartment. Yet he still managed to thrive like his brother before him. He to did not have a crib but "graduated" from bassinet to pack and play. He also was not breastfed but was very healthy and happy boy. Still no childproofing of the house and yet still no major injuries. On so to the third, and fourth boys. By the time my fifth baby was here my body had had enough "baby caring" and decided to spit him out a wee bit early. He, being a preemie was only fed breast milk until the first month via nose tube. He was my first child to have a real crib. Yet still nothing else extra. No such thing as a boppy pillow or fancy toys and such that I see parents spending their money on. He grew up fine (as fine as a preemie can expect to be). He is huge now (no weight problems) he has a stutter but so does half the people on his fathers side. He his healthy and happy and it didn't take much but love. My daughter paij also was born early and there is no delays in her speech or growth and she is a normal bossy three year old. So what I am getting at is............Am I bad mom because I feed my kids corn syrup products, McDonald's, soda, my house is not "childproofed", and all that stuff. I don't think so. I don't think those things define how well your children will grow up or be safe. I think it is the parents, I think we rely to much on what everyone else is doing and buying instead of relying on what works best for our family. I read a post on my mommy group page about "transitioning to a big bed". What the hell? I put my kids in a bed when they could walk and they were fine! I think if more parents made decisions for their kids instead of making a bid deal of everything life would be easier on the kids and parents. My kids have choices but not many. The younger you are the less you have. My kids never complained about what they were eating because they didn't have a choice you either eat or don't eat. Now this has stuck with them their whole lives. My 10.8.7. and 5 year old can get up in the morning now and wake up to their own alarm clock, help each other get dressed, make sure each other has their backpacks and make sure they get breakfast all while I am still sleep. That is because I taught them to be self sufficient and not rely on mommy to pick out their clothes and wake them up. I think if more parents helped their children in this manner the child would be less stressed and so would parents. Now don't get me wrong, I think every parent should be there for their child, my kids know if they need me that I am there but most times they don't need me. That way when they grow up to be young men and woman they won't need me as much. I am sorry for the ranting it is just something that has been on my chest for a very long time!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I think that is great that your babes are self suffecient. I wish my kids were! Even Lily has the same damn routine every morning..eat, get dressed, wash your face, brush your teeth, fix hair, make bed and THEN you can play DS or Sims or whatever. you would think that after how many years of this routine she wouldn't need me to tell her every freaking day..ok now do this..and when thats done ok go do this..Sigh..self sufficient..I am so jealous.

Kelly said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mumbling Mom said...

I wish my kids were self sufficient like yours. And quite honestly, I can't think of any new fangled baby gadget I owned that was worth the large dime I paid for it.